Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Antique hand mirror and estate sale finds

Right next door to my office was an estate sale sign.  The amount of cars peaked my curiosity.
Here are some photos of a few things I found.


Some salt and pepper shakers, a little salt cellar and old silver plate. 
In the back is an old collapsing silver plated cup.  It doesn't hold
closed when collapsed but it is still fun to use for display.


An old wood box with inside sections.  The closure is broken
yet easily fixed.  I was thinking of removing the lid and making a little treasures 
display like many do with the old typography trays.

Any other suggestions out there?

A very old hand mirror with a face partly covered

It is some type of metal; not silver plate
You can see where I tried to start cleaning it.

 

Some damage to the glass


Very interesting workmanship.

Here's to you finding great treasures this weekend.

6 comments:

  1. DD, you are so lucky!! What wonderful finds. I love your salt shakers (I'm a long time collector of those one~and~lonely shakers of salt!) In fact, I've just published a post that highlights a way to re~purpose them. I'd love for you to pop on over and tell me what you think!! Okay, we are DEFINITELY kindred spirits...your box is very similar to one I reinvented a few years ago into a key~keeper for the hallway (there's a post about it in 2008 on the blog...I'll try to look it up and give you the direct link). We are still using it to this day!! The mirror...well that is just plain gorgeous and I am sooo looking forward to seeing what your amazingly creative brain comes up with!! Thanks so much for sharing these little treasures!! Rosie and I are getting ready to do a little treasure hunting of our own, so I will be off!
    Warmly,
    Tracey
    x0x

    ReplyDelete
  2. DOESN'T THE SITE OF AN ESTATE SALE SIGN JUST MAKE YOUR HEART BEAT FASTER? YOU CAME AWAY WITH A PRETTY SWEET STASH GIRL! I'VE NEVER SEEN A MIRROR THAT GRAND!

    HUGS, JUDY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that hand mirror!!! You found some great things at that sale.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi there...thanks for yor comment on my blog. nice to meet you! i love your finds AND your creations. quite lovely! as for my french flea market book bundles...it may help you to know that i only use books whose covers are already falling off of the bindings and those whose pages are quite beyoned salvaging. if you look for those kinds of books then you will have no problems using them as i have. so be on the lookout! i consider it a "rescue effort" and a way to give them new life as opposed to being burned (gasp) or recyceld (which is ok too). but it's nice to be able to save them for creative purposes since they are no longer "readable." warm regards,
    ~*~michelle~*~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, girl..what a sale! I am so in love with the box. Oh, what a great little assemblege you could build. And the hand mirror, so pretty. Love it all! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great finds, and so convenient! That box is a nice find, and I like the shaker with the silver top.

    ReplyDelete